Tuesday, November 4, 2008

You're Chicken

Congratulations to our first questions sent in my Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous, I’m not sure which. I always like to have a sauce, or something to slather my chicken in, whether it is bbq, sweet and sour, a buerre blanc or something a little more out there. When I season my chicken for grilling, roasting, sautéing or baking I always use a little sea salt and cracked peppercorns. If I am going to rub my chicken down in spices I might use some dried mustard or dried chilies if I am going to finish it with a little sauce or salsa.
Purchase dark chili powder, which is ok. If you want to make your own I would buy a combination of ancho chili, chipotle, and pasilla peppers. Pick out the seeds, toast them in the oven to dry them out and increase the complexity of flavors and then grind them down with a food processor with a little garlic and cinnamon, put them in the oven to dry out and grind a second time. Repeat grinding and toasting until the chili mix becomes a powder and is dry. You can keep this in you pantry and bring it out later when you want to use it again. It’s got some heat, but it’s tasty with hints of leather and tobacco, also great for steaks, fish or lamb and will become even bolder when you grill with it. Rub this on prior to grilling, and serve it with some fresh pico de gallo, or grilled pineapple salsa, yum. Grill some pineapple, let it cool, dice it up and add diced jalapenos, fresh cilantro leaves, lime juice and diced red pepper, season with a little salt and pepper and chili flakes. Let me know what you think.

No comments: