Thursday, February 19, 2009

CIA NY

My regional chef boss called me two weeks ago and asked me if I was available to travel (all expenses paid) to The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park NY. I had to pick myself off the floor. Evidently I was asked of by name by his national counterpart back East. I had to give him an answer by the end of the day, I told him yes within the hour. Janet (my lovely wife agreed to hold down the fort and work double time so I could do this by the way) proclaims herself a “restaurant widow” so I would like to thank her publicly. I would like to also thank the nameless “national television network” for not choosing me for their contest so that I am available to do this.

I am the rookie of the seasoned group of twelve who do this every year. We are going to test recipes that have been submitted for a recipe book. I have never done anything like this, so I am quite stoked. I am told to “bring my A game, if you have one” by a friend who has done this for years. We are looked over and managed by Certified Master Chef Rudy. Master Chef is not a title you achieve with ease mind you; he is probably one of just 200 in the entire world, a mythic creature of professionalism, skill and subtle brutality. I am anxious to have him bust my chops and make me a better cook, either that or send me to the corner, curled up and in tears, shaking violently.
I am going to bring my camera and take mind numbing notes, documenting everything.
I will post some of it when I get back.

Until then, enjoy your food and play your music just a little bit louder

1 comment: